Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Mornings


I woke up this morning thinking what a difficult many months we have all had, friends and family alike. There have been financial hardships for sure, Mother's Day followed by my Mom's birthday are long and empty days without her, and we are fast approaching Father's Day which will hold an emptiness for me this first year because I cannot call him and hear him say he's "doing bout ninety backwards" which translated into "just fine". Today I prayed for a focus on all the simple special moments I will miss if I only pay attention to my empty place. So I noticed the soft sunshine filtering through the trees, and a huge woodpecker with a head completely covered in rich red who showed up at my feeder, while I was pulling these biscuits from the oven. A feeling of gratitude washed over me as I smelled them and applied the butter and jam.
Yes, it's the simple gifts that add up to feeling whole again. Sundays are a time of renewal, preparing for the week ahead - and thanking the Lord for protection, guidance, grace and forgiveness. I paid attention today to the silence, the sounds of nature, my breath, and knowing that every tomorrow brings surprising miracles all over the world as well as my own life. You just have to be paying attention. I have also received many gifts and blessing in recent weeks and need to give them the praise and appreciation they deserve. The world is loud and moves very fast, I only need to put one foot in front of the other and take it one day at a time, and decide to focus on the things I CAN change - a better healthier lifestyle, a better steward of my finances, relish in the joy of time spent with friends, and making a difference whenever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment